The removal of any marine organism from British Virgin Islands waters without a recreational fishing permit is illegal for non-BVI Islanders. Anyone fishing in BVI waters is required to have a recreational fishing license (except for persons under the age of 18). If you are caught fishing without a license, there may be heavy fines and possibly confiscation of your fishing equipment and your yacht.
To fill out your BVI Fishing license, email Ken Thomas and he will send you the form: KenThomas@gov.vg. Check out the Season Guide for more information on open and closed seasons.
If your charter starts on a weekend, the deadline for application completion is Thursday at 9 a.m. (The government offices close early on Fridays and doesn’t reopen until Monday morning). The license is valid for 1 year and costs $45.00
Some helpful hints for filling out the BVI Fishing License form:
- Licenses are per person, not per boat. An application must be filled out for each person who will be fishing.
- For a bareboat charter, it’s not necessary to give the name of the yacht. Under “name of the vessel” put the type of yacht.
- Description of the vessel – enter the charter company name.
- Registration number – enter N/A
- Port of registration – enter N/A
- If you are renting equipment -under Type & Description of gear to be rented, enter “spinning and trolling rods”.